Sunday, March 4, 2007

Cover to Cover - Part 2

I hadn't abandoned Aerosmith though. In 1990, my brother and I were disappointed that 75% of the songs they played seemed to be from their new albums. While looking through the liner notes from their Greatest Hits album, I noticed 'Train Kept a Rollin'' was a cover song. After some quick research, I found out that Led Zeppelin had rehearsed with that same song in their early days.

Back to the library.

I found 1969's 'Led Zeppelin II'. Then their 1968 debut. Within a matter of weeks I had found and listened to their catalogue. 'Train Kept a Rollin'' was nowhere to be found, but I was not disappointed. This stuff was foundational. Led Zeppelin did what other bands had been trying to do. Their albums were varied, thematic, and whole. I eventually found 'Train Kept a Rollin'' on a The Yardbirds album. The Yardbirds at one point had Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton and Jeff Beck in their roster. You can't get much more modern-rock-foundational then that.

So, now Aerosmith had led me to the alt-rock founders R.E.M. as well as one of the most influential bands of all time -- Led Zeppelin.

No comments: